A lot has changed this year. You might be back in school right now, or you might be learning from home. You might even be doing both, at least for a while. But no matter where you are, you probably aren’t psyched about the idea of leaving your house to meet in person with a tutor to work on ACT test prep for a few hours a week. The good news is that you don’t have to: ACT test prep online is a perfectly viable option, and for some students, it might even be better than traditional in-home or at-the-library tutoring.
If there’s one thing that being locked down has taught us, it’s that some things are better off online. At Inspirica, we believe test prep is one of those things. Online ACT test prep has allowed us to connect world-class tutors with people all over the world–something that would have been impossible before the Internet. If you’re stuck at home but want to get started on your ACT prep online, here’s what you need to know and what you need to look for.
What to Look For in an ACT Test Prep Online Program
When you look for an online ACT test prep program, you’re looking for two things: flexibility and reliability. That means you’ll want to evaluate an online ACT test prep course on those two criteria first, and then think about things like scheduling and budget.
Flexibility in Your Online ACT Test Prep
Flexibility is important for a lot of reasons, but it’s even more important now than it was last year. With test dates changing constantly and test centers closing without warning, many students are in constant uncertainly about their ACT. This summer, due to tests being canceled parts of New York, but not in Ohio, I had a student who decided to drive all the way to Ohio from NYC, just to take the ACT! I heard stories from other students who showed up at their testing centers to test, only to learn that the test had been canceled that very morning, and that the center hadn’t gotten around to notifying everyone yet.
With stories like these, it’s clear that you want an ACT online prep program to be as flexible as possible. If you’re not sure when you’re testing, or if you’ve just signed up for multiple test dates in the hopes of keeping one or more of them, you need an online prep program that offers you choice. You’re looking for programs that:
- Can be completed at your own pace, whether that is very fast or rather slow
- Contain self-directed materials and instruction, such as video lessons
- Have a clear schedule of homework and expectations
- Allow you to choose when to meet and who you meet with
If you have a busy schedule, this becomes even more important. A program that allows you to choose when you meet and who you meet with is a great advantage for a busy student. At Inspirica, we have two main online ACT test prep programs that fit the bill:
- Flex Prep is a month-long program (that you have three months to complete) with weekly small-group live classes, a an-demand video library, and a free private session with a tutor of your choice
- Dynamic Prep is a two-month-long program (that you have six months to complete) that is half online small-group classes and half private lessons with a tutor of your choice and at a time of your choice
Either program is a good choice for a busy student or a student who wants strictly online ACT test prep. If that doesn’t fit what you’re looking for, though, keep reading.
Reliability in your Online ACT Test Prep
Reliability has always been important for students seeking test prep, and this year is no exception. When I say reliability, I mean that you want results. If you’re going to put in the time, effort, and money to work on improving your test scores, you want to see some improvement, right? The most reliable way to raise your test scores is the same as its always been: to work closely with a tutor and practice consistently each week. Any online ACT prep program that you invest in should show these signs of reliability:
- A way to track your results so you can see data about your improvement
- The ability to meet with the same tutor and build an academic relationship
- A step-by-step plan for your progress
- The best materials for you to spend time with
A reliable online ACT test prep program doesn’t need to have all four of these, but the best ones will. At Inspirica, we have two main online ACT test prep programs that meet all four of these requirements:
- Elite Prep is a ten-week program that includes ten private lessons with a tutor of your choice and access to an online testing platform that allows you and your tutor to track your results
- Premier Prep is a fully customized and open-ended program with a tutor of your choice, built around you and your academic needs, with no time limit and no restrictions
Both of these programs are good choices for students who want a reliable online ACT test prep program and a solid score.
Registering For the ACT This Year
It’s been a tough year for test prep. Even students who were lucky enough to stumble into excellent ACT test prep online had their tests canceled or moved. This year, being ready for the test isn’t just about your own personal prep. After all, the best prep won’t help you if you can’t test. That’s why we’re advising our student to sign up early and sign up often for test dates–even if you don’t think you’ll test at all of them. This summer, our students who signed up for more than one test date were often able to make at least one of them. It’s always best to have a backup plan.
For more information on test center closings and cancellations, check out our news breakdown.
Get Started with ACT Test Prep Online
If you are ready to take the plunge and begin an ACT test prep program online, we’re here to help! You can take a look at any of the links to the classes above, our small-group prep pages, or our one-on-one prep to get started. We hope to see you in class!